Monday, February 16, 2015

Cruising along.

Hello again!

It is a bitter cold day in northern PA.  The kids had a 2 hour delay for school.  I am starting to get cabin fever, I think. 

I am encouraged when I hear about other people and their successes with changing their health.  I have my own experiences, and they are encouraging, true.  But it reinforces things, when I hear about other people and how much better they are feeling.

This may be TMI, but one of the most difficult times for me has been PMS and during menstruation.  When I was a teenager, I knew when my period would start. every time.  It was 28.5 days.  One month it would start in the morning, then next, at night.  Crazy, eh?  Well, 4 kids, and weight fluctuations, and poor eating, changed all that!  For the past decade or so, I have struggled.  My hubby has said on many occasions "I hope you get your period, soon!!"  Of course this did not go over well.  Several days before it was due, I would be cranky, miserable, and all my issues came to the surface.  If Leigh ticked me off about something small... every issue I had with him came out at once!!  Then, the day before, a debilitating migraine.  My cycles would be anywhere from 21-36 days, and the menstruation itself, 3-9 days.  I thought maybe I was starting into menopause.  However, I am happy to report, this has reversed.  The last several have been 27 days, and lasted 6 days.  Regular.   Also, the amount has slowed dramatically.  Very minimal headache, not sure I would even call it a migraine.  Each month it has been less dramatic.  So, hopefully, it will ease all together!!

I tend to get in a rut.  Do you do that?  Cook the same things all the time?  Fall into the same habits, no matter how hard you try to change?  Well, I seem to be in a rut right now.  I love the food I eat, but I need to get adventurous again.  I am looking forward to spring, and being able to get out of the house.  I am looking forward to new fresh foods in the stores!  And Farmer's Markets!  And starting plants, and gardening!  All new experiences this year!

I am proud of my kids.  They are working hard at changing their foods, and life, too.  We had concerns about them last year, when we were cyber-schooling, because they spent so much time at the computer.  And the kitchen was right there.  All of the kids seemed, to eat constantly!  As you can imagine, they all gained a bit.  Well, this also made them sluggish, and unmotivated.  Several months ago, I told them that I missed their energetic selves!  I have been wonderfully surprised to see changes in their moods!  They are happier kids, and more motivated to dive into whatever needs done!  I'm not saying they are perfect kids, because they are trying to change their health.  Nope, they are still kids.  But overall, we see an improvement over the sulkiness that pervaded our home just 6 months ago.  I love to watch them make food and exercise choices because THEY know it makes them feel better.  I do not want my kids doing this because I MAKE them.  They are old enough to decide on their own. 

Heidi has been talking to some kids at school.  It makes me sad how our country has taught us to eat.  The things they say to her about what she is eating for lunch, are all the typically, brainwashed, statements said buy anyone who has not done their own research. Interestingly, the people who know anything about Anatomy and Physiology, are encouraging.  Anyone who is educated in the human body, understands these things.  The folks who get their nutrition education from magazines on the newsstand, well, they are sadly lacking in accurate information.  Heidi has to take a health and wellness class next quarter.  It will be interesting to see how that goes!

I am struggling a bit, with the fact that my weight doesn't seem to be budging still.  I am slowly losing a few inches.  Some of my clothes are almost too big! GASP!!  I keep trying to change things up a bit, but the scale doesn't move much.  It doesn't overwhelm me, like it would have several years ago.  But it is a pleasant thing when you see the numbers dropping.  I am happy though, that the numbers on the scale is the only thing I am struggling with at this point.  I have no complaints about my diet, or how I feel.  How can I?  I feel so much better than I ever have!


No comments:

Post a Comment